Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Citrus
One thing that we really liked about the house we decided to rent was the backyard. I was especially excited that there were four mature citrus trees ( orange, blood orange, lime and meyer lemon). I hope to one day have enough property to grow all sorts of fruits and vegetables but for now this makes me happy. We also have a small eureka lemon that we had down in the Bay Area and it is thriving in its new home!
For Christmas gifts I made two types of marmalade--vanilla clove blood orange marmalade and meyer lemon marmalade. The meyer lemon version came out too bitter for our taste but we liked the blood orange. It was my first attempt at canning and I think it went well.
We had so many limes that I ended up spending a few hours juicing over 60 limes--and that hardly made a dent in the tree. I juiced by hand and about 10 limes in I was wishing we had an electric juicer. I filled 8oz canning jars and froze the juice and have been using it for limeade and margaritas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment