Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Easy Shepherd's Pie

I prefer to cook from scratch but during work nights it's often easier to reach into the freezer for something quick.

I whipped this up last night but ended up storing it in the fridge until this evening since the hubby ended up having to work late and we ate separately. Frozen veggies and mashed potatoes made it quick to throw together. I didn't follow a recipe and would make a few changes next time.

Here's the gist of what I did ( typing on my phone so please forgive any typos).
Chopped one large yellow onion and sautéed with a little olive oil until translucent. Add 1lb ground beef ( I used frozen grassfed beef from trader joes -- didn't thaw just threw in in frozen. Cook meat (**next time I'd cook the meat separately and drain the fat). Add fresh rosemary (1 small sprig) an thyme (3 sprigs) **maybe a little more of each next time. Add 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1tsp dried oregano. Salt and pepper. **next time I'd add some tomato paste (tube type) and maybe a little Worcester sauce**

Add 1 cup of water, bouillon cube and 1 tablespoon flour cook until thickened a bit.

Transfer meat mixture to a casserole dish. Empty a bag of frozen veggies (carrots/peas/corn) on top of meat mixture (I used trader joes organic vegetable foursome). Top with mashed potatoes. To save time I used trader joes frozen mashed potatoes. Microwave until soft and spread on top of veggies. Top with some shredded cheese -I lightly sprinkled the top with a Swiss/gruyere mix. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. I ended up broiling at the end to finish browning the cheese a bit more.




No comments:

Post a Comment